Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Christmas Gift Wrap-Up - 2007

As per Jenni's request, I will do a brief Christmas Gift Wrap-Up. I was happy to receive a great haul this year, starting with:

Games:

Jenni and Eric hooked us up with Puerto Rico, a really cool empire building game from Rio Grande Games. I've been playing with family and friends over the holidays and am really enjoying this game.





Books





Teresa surprised me with a copy of Miss Lou's Anancy book, which, upon receipt, I read aloud for about an hour straight. Gillian gave me Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Connie and Geoff also sent me a copy of Neverwhere, but they included a gift receipt, which I used (along with a Chapter's gift card) to get Steve Martin's autobiography, Born Standing Up.



Connie and Geoff rounded out the gift giving with a copy of The Dangerous Book for Boys (British Edition, yay!) and Cook's Illustrated's Grilling and Barbecue cookbook. Armed with more gift cards, I purchased myself a copy of Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kune Do. I'm looking forward to some heavy reading this year!

Movies



My brother, Ngai, hooked me up with a copy of Superbad and Michel Gondry's first collection of music videos. Again, armed with gift cards, I treated myself to a few special picks including White Stripes's Under Blackpool Lights, Titanic (which Jenni has not viewed due to her irrational dislike of Leo Dicaprio from his Growing Pains days, tsk, tsk... silly Jenni...), Godfather II (a replacement of a previously lost copy) and Notting Hill (the only Hugh Grant rom-com I like enough to watch more than once).



The Special Gifts

Like I said, I got a nice haul this Christmas, but I received two truly special gifts. The first one is art from Ngai for my future "movie room". Ngai is the family artist and he made this piece for me, a collage of cool movie posters and variant one-sheets.



And Teresa got me a... sword!!! Yay!



A genuine katana! Plus, Paul showed us this cool colour isolating feature on our digicam, so my gifts look even cooler!





3 comments:

Jenni said...

Leo is overrated as is Titanic. It sailed, it sank. Why make a movie? :)

Some nice gifts, Mr. Twit. I hear you've been using one of Teresa's gifts pretty heavily (an ATK cook book). Ah, a merry, food-filled Christmas.

Tell me how you like Steve Martin's memoirs. I've read one of his novels (and have the other one checked out). He writes well.

Enjoy Neverwhere. Then get the BBC miniseries the comic book was based on.

It's 3 degrees F here in MI. Is it that cold in Canada?

Teresa said...

I just checked the weather -12C so that is 10F. So you win but yes it is that cold. I told a coworker yesterday about the cookbooks and I mentioned the grilling one
"Have you used it yet?"
"No, haven't had a chance" We like to grill but come on there are limits.
It turns out that she thought Ali got a grill (like a George Forman) as opposed to a book on grilling.

Jenni said...

Well, if there was a path shoveled to the grill, it might be an option...

Okay, so we were single digits for most of today. On Sunday, we'll be topping 50 F.

Is it too early to break out the sandals?