Tuesday, February 26, 2008

...Yeah, But Can She Write An Environmental Assessment Report?

Margaret Atwood thinks she's so friggin' smart,
because everyone thinks her writing is art.
The only thing I really know is,
she couldn't hack it in the environmental biz.

She likes to write futuristic, feminist plots,
that don't ever mention spaceships, laser guns or Asimov robots.
Now other readers may give her a pass,
but she must have been sick the day they taught science fiction in writing class.

To write a technical report you have to be precise,
and somehow make bad news seem nice.
And you have to make spurious lab data fit,
or else your Client is gonna lose his shit.

Today I wrote "Low dissolved oxygen content indicates the groundwater is oxic."
But MS Word kept spell correcting the word as "toxic".
Watch out! 'Cause one misplaced "t" could repeal,
A multi-million dollar land transaction deal!

So let's raise glass to the writers of environmental prose,
Because we all are truly life's un-sung hero's.
We may never win a Booker prize for writing the technical word,
but we should feel free to flip Margret Atwood the bird!

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Ouch! What brought this attack (?) on?

AKW said...

Three reasons:

1) the ankle hems on my last good pair of flannel PJ's are torn

2) the weather here sucks! I mean for god's sake I am tired of shoveling snow!

3) Margaret Atwood's had this coming for a long time. And you know what...? Michael Ondaatje, Carol Shields, Douglas Copland and Yann Martel better watch their step or else I'll open up a whole can a whup-ass on them as well.

Jenni said...

Well, the snow's been falling here since November with no signs of stopping. I've a hole in my only pair of pajamas and I've been sick. Do you see me losing my stuff about Margaret Atwood (or any contemporary author, for that matter)? Anger management, my friend. Anger management. (the movie, not a psychologist)